The Amathole Museum has its origins in the King Williams Town Naturalist Society founded in 1884. The Societys collections quickly outgrew temporary accommodation in the Council Chambers and Public Library. From these small beginnings, the museum grew. It is the major attraction for visitors to King Williams Town and also serves the local community. The original museum building today forms the eastern wing of the Amathole Museum complex. It was officially opened to the public in October 1898 as The Museum of Natural History. A major extension to the building, linking it to the Public Library, was completed in 1953. The Wesleyan Church (photo), and Post Office buildings were incorporated in the early 1980s to house the growing museum.
Located in King Williams Town